Tuesday, August 03, 2004

*o* What in the...

There are times when I will amuse myself by checking out bad reviews of well-known novels on Amazon.com. I rarely agree with them, but I honestly don't laugh at them. Everyone's opinion is their own. Mine is no more right than theirs.

I can ususally stick to that philosophy. However, today I came across a review that is the most shockingly bad review I have read in my entire life. When I see the review I copy/pasted below, I can't help but think of the telephone game. It's as if someone read Cat's Cradle and told the plot to someone else who told it to someone else and so on an so forth until the guy who wrote this review was roughly the 10,000th person to hear it. I never thought I would ever hear a novel by Kurt Vonnegut degraded so. Disliked? Yes. Distrusted? Of course. Disagreed with? Naturally. But never, ever, ever so misrepresented and disrespected. Well, without further preable:

Not As Good as Star Wars, November 17, 2003

Reviewer: vincent vega (Paris, France)

This is a decent sci-fi escape, but nowhere near as good an escape as Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, or Star Wars: A New Hope. This isn't very challenging, and you may feel compelled to read it because of the almost too simple story, and easy going language. This is basically a book about a mad scientist who tries to take over the world by freezing it over with a substance called Ice-Nine, and at the end he succeeds because of his children's greed to control it. Again, not very complex or deep, a basic fable, but still entertaining. But as entertaining as Star Wars? NO. I recommend renting the star war movies or getting the star war books, especially the ones with Jabba the Hut. Cat's Cradle has no point or meaning to it, unlike Lucas's prophetic, amazing vision. Vonnegut is funny, but not very intelligent.

I really don't have anything else to say. Really, what is there? When faced with that level of ignorance, one knows arguing back will accomplish nothing more than silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home