Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II

One of the more personally striking scenes in Mao II is the passage when Karen watches a TV report of the infamous soccer (football) riot in the UK. Karen notes that "on any given day it was mainly the film footage that she wanted to see and she didn't mind watching it without sound." She then proceeds to experience the clip of violence not as a horrible event of violence and death, but as a work of art; as she puts it, "it is like a religious painting, the scene could be a fresco in a tourist church...". But Delillo isn't trying to say that Karen is wrong, desensitized, or even fooled by taking the visual images in without the context of sound. Instead, he seems to be pointing out that, like the mass of bodies in the riotous crowd, mass media is an environment where individuality (whether the boy in the white cap or the singular meaning attempting to be conveyed through the report) is lost in the onslaught of the surroundings.

Delillo is pretty clear in pointing out that the overt message or meaning of the newscast is irrelevant. It is only the medium of the representation that matters. In Karen's words, "you could make up the news as you went along by sticking to the pictures only." Karen doesn't see anything wrong with this idea of ignoring the message in favor of the medium, and Delillo doesn't give us any hint that we ought to correct her, either. Instead, Delillo's description of the riot, while seemingly bruital, is really clinical and strictly descriptive, not laying any negative judgments on the barbarity of the scene. He accomplishes this description through a sort of detached prose where Karen even stops to search for the appropriate word to use ("writhing"), supposing a sort of clinical interest in the correct way to categorize rather than a visceral label. Further, Delillo plunges into his litany of violent imagery ("terrible slow straining and heaving," "two men crawling on heads and shoulders," "pressed together and terribly twisted," "suffering faces"), only to cease the litany mid-description to point out "men calmly watching...in shorts and jerseys...standing in the grass" (as well as the seemingly irrelevant observation "soccer is called football abroad") before delving directly back into the violent images. Not only does this interrupt the flow of meaning (paradoxically by seamlessly being integrated into the narrative), as if this image were on par with the violent ones immediately surrounding it on both sides. But, in wondering why Karen and these soccer players seem calm and desensitized, one can look at the strong artistic parallel presented in the passage.

Such scenes have become much like the religious works of art that Karen compares it to. Unlike art, television (and particularly the news) is supposed to represent a form of reality. Yet art is something that, while it may be horrible in the sense of being "filled with people suffering," it isn't something that is supposed to be taken as a direct representation of reality as it television. However, Delillo here suggests that television (and perhaps mob behavior/violence in general extrapolating to the soccer players themselves) actually has become no more than an aesthetic, soundless form of art. People tune in to television to see these types of things, and the television stations oblige by giving their viewers what they want. The actual reality behind the event becomes of second importance if of importance at all. Television (and spectacles in general, perhaps), are no longer any more meaningful than the relationship between viewer and viewed.

26 Comments:

At September 21, 2005 at 11:31 PM, Blogger Nathan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 5, 2005 at 5:03 PM, Blogger melloman said...

Hey N han GREAT title A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com/ related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

 
At November 14, 2005 at 11:14 PM, Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi N han, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on wood working clamps, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about wood working clamps.

 
At November 15, 2005 at 4:03 PM, Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi N han, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on wood working band saw when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working band saw. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about wood working band saw at the site above.

 
At November 16, 2005 at 11:58 AM, Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi N han, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on dewalt wood working tool when I found your page. Your site describing A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on dewalt wood working tool then drop by the site above and check it out.

 
At December 1, 2005 at 11:59 AM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey N han - got lost looking for Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets info but found your great blog! A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

 
At December 1, 2005 at 4:33 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hi there N han, nice blog here! I am looking for Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets blogs, but yours stood out to me despite really having nothing to do with Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets stuff. Seems like a lot of people enjoy your A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II blog and I will bookmark you! Thanks...

 
At December 2, 2005 at 12:09 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Dear N han --- Nice blog! I was looking for Fantasy Football Draft related info, but stopped for a minute when I found you blog! It is great! I am book-marking it and will come back! I haven't seem a blog quite like A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II! Anyway great blog, but no Fantasy Football Draft info here I I am out! THanks...

 
At December 2, 2005 at 7:15 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey N han - got lost looking for Fantasy Football Mock Draft info but found your great blog! A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly Fantasy Football Mock Draft related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

 
At December 2, 2005 at 7:19 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At December 5, 2005 at 12:11 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hi there N han, nice blog here! I am looking for Fantasy Football Player Rankings blogs, but yours stood out to me despite really having nothing to do with Fantasy Football Player Rankings stuff. Seems like a lot of people enjoy your A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II blog and I will bookmark you! Thanks...

 
At December 6, 2005 at 10:56 AM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Dear N han --- Nice blog! I was looking for Fantasy Football related info, but stopped for a minute when I found you blog! It is great! I am book-marking it and will come back! I haven't seem a blog quite like A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II! Anyway great blog, but no Fantasy Football info here I I am out! THanks...

 
At December 7, 2005 at 11:52 AM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey N han - got lost looking for Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets info but found your great blog! A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

 
At December 8, 2005 at 10:24 AM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hi N han - I was out searching for Fantasy Football related sites and stumbled across your blog. A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly what I was looking for, but I still stayed and sniffed around a bit! Nice site! I am off to find Fantasy Football related stuff, but I will stop by again soon! Keep up the good work!

 
At December 8, 2005 at 3:33 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Dear N han --- Nice blog! I was looking for Fantasy Football Mock Draft related info, but stopped for a minute when I found you blog! It is great! I am book-marking it and will come back! I haven't seem a blog quite like A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II! Anyway great blog, but no Fantasy Football Mock Draft info here I I am out! THanks...

 
At December 8, 2005 at 7:24 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey N han - got lost looking for Fantasy Football Draft info but found your great blog! A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly Fantasy Football Draft related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

 
At December 9, 2005 at 12:53 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey N han - got lost looking for Fantasy Football Draft info but found your great blog! A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly Fantasy Football Draft related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

 
At December 9, 2005 at 3:22 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hi N han - I was out searching for Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets related sites and stumbled across your blog. A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly what I was looking for, but I still stayed and sniffed around a bit! Nice site! I am off to find Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets related stuff, but I will stop by again soon! Keep up the good work!

 
At December 13, 2005 at 2:37 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

N han - nice blog. I was looking for Fantasy Football Player Rankings sites, but I am glad I found your A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II blog, because it is quite entertaining! I will come back and check it out! Off to find more Fantasy Football Player Rankings blogs/sites... see ya and thanks!

 
At December 20, 2005 at 12:47 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Dear N han --- Nice blog! I was looking for Fantasy Football related info, but stopped for a minute when I found you blog! It is great! I am book-marking it and will come back! I haven't seem a blog quite like A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II! Anyway great blog, but no Fantasy Football info here I I am out! THanks...

 
At December 29, 2005 at 6:07 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey N han - got lost looking for Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets info but found your great blog! A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

 
At January 3, 2006 at 3:49 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

N han - nice blog. I was looking for Fantasy Football Draft sites, but I am glad I found your A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II blog, because it is quite entertaining! I will come back and check it out! Off to find more Fantasy Football Draft blogs/sites... see ya and thanks!

 
At January 4, 2006 at 1:46 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Dear N han --- Nice blog! I was looking for Fantasy Football Draft related info, but stopped for a minute when I found you blog! It is great! I am book-marking it and will come back! I haven't seem a blog quite like A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II! Anyway great blog, but no Fantasy Football Draft info here I I am out! THanks...

 
At January 5, 2006 at 2:50 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey N han - got lost looking for Fantasy Football info but found your great blog! A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly Fantasy Football related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

 
At January 10, 2006 at 1:15 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hi there N han, nice blog here! I am looking for Fantasy Football Draft blogs, but yours stood out to me despite really having nothing to do with Fantasy Football Draft stuff. Seems like a lot of people enjoy your A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II blog and I will bookmark you! Thanks...

 
At January 24, 2006 at 12:26 PM, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey N han - got lost looking for Fantasy Football Draft info but found your great blog! A brief sketch of Delillo's representation of TV in Mao II is not exactly Fantasy Football Draft related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home